Monday, February 28, 2005

Leaving Baltimore

When I stopped shamelessly flirting for all of 2 seconds with him, I actually had a very good conversation the other night with a friend of mine about music and about the music scene in Baltimore in particular. He urged me to leave. If I'm serious about finding success, I don't have many years left to do it in the genre of music that I do, and Baltimore just doesn't have the audience that I'm looking for. I have 2 say, I've often thought the very same thing. I know what's been keeping me here. I say 2 myself, "if I can't make a buzz here how am I ever gonna do it in someplace like NY or LA where the competition to be heard is a trillion times greater?" I say 2 myself, "U can find an audience anywhere. If U build it they will come." When really the truth is ... the reason I'm still in Baltimore is fear. Fear of failure, fear of going out there and falling on my face, fear of poverty and losing everything I have chasing a dream.

In all honesty, I haven't really done all I can do yet here in Baltimore. I've only had one "real" show here with a band. I'm not gonnna give up on Baltimore just yet now that I've finally got a little momentum happening. But I know I can't stay here indefinitely. Many people have told me to go to Europe, the market over there is more eclectic and would embrace my style of music more than they will here. Some people told me to go to Canada (it's too friggin' cold in Canada!) I don't know. I truly believe that if I can't first make a little buzz in my own hometown, I have no business going anywhere else.

So, I'm not giving up. I'm at a place right now in my "music career" that I haven't been at thus far. I think I should stay on this road and re-evaluate things in 6 months to a year.

Some people have also said "Baltimore is a place you get stuck in."

Nope. I'll leave eventually. Just don't know where or when yet.

"Everybody goes 2 Hollywood. They wanna make it in the neighborhood." - Queen Madge (aka Madonna)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home